The Pros & Cons
Whether you’re creating your first business card or it’s time for a business card refresh, you might be tempted to dive straight into the design and ask yourself questions like:
- What colour should my business card be?
- Where should I place my logo on my business card?
- What important details do I need to put on my business card?
- Should I add a QR code?
These are all great questions to be asking yourself but there is one important question that is sometimes forgotten in the excitement and that is: What material should my business card be made of?
Today, business cards can be made from all sorts of materials – with various types of plastic, paper and even wood on offer. Here’s how you can decide which material is best for your business cards.
Plastic business cards
Most plastic business cards on the market are made from PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride). This material is typically inexpensive, highly durable and delivers a high-quality finish.
Clear plastic business cards are another option made from PVC that grabs attention, providing a unique way for your business cards and brand to stand out.
If you’re wondering if PVC plastic business cards can be recycled, we have good news! They can be. While you can’t put them in your regular recycling bin you can join our recycling initiative and learn more about recycling PVC plastic cards here.
If you choose to use PVC for your business cards you can opt to use a Black Core, which replaces the typical white edge visible on PVC business cards with a sleek black edge, adding an extra premium feel to your business cards.
Full Face Foil is another option for PVC plastic business cards, adding an eye-catching holographic shine to your business card design. In the light, Full Face Foil will deliver a stunning spectrum of light reflected from underneath the print, making it an engaging way to stand out from the crowd.
You can also choose to make your plastic business cards out of PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) recyclable plastic rather than PVC.
PET recyclable plastic is 100% recyclable and can be placed in your kerbside recycling bin (hooray!). If you’re looking for a more environmentally friendly option that still delivers many of the benefits of a plastic business card (i.e. durability and water resistance) PET recyclable plastic is a great option.
If you’d like to know more about the types of plastic business cards that are available to you, get in touch with our friendly team today. We’ll answer any of your questions with zero obligation to proceed with a purchase.
Paper business cards
If you’re happy to compromise on your business card durability in order to minimise your environmental impact even further or a looking for a more cost-effective option, paper business cards are worth considering.
While many still think of paper business cards as flimsy, you can choose the thickness of your paper business card, including the option to use a premium and highly durable paper business card stock.
Our very own paper printing facility in Australia can produce top-of-the-line paper business cards for you. Here are just a few of the printing capabilities we can put to use for your paper business cards:
Paper business cards are an excellent choice for those who want to be eco-friendly. Paper business cards are a great way to advertise your company, and they save you money. Paper business cards offer endless sizes, edges, textures, and colours for you to choose from.
The benefits of plastic business cards
There are a few reasons you might consider choosing plastic business cards over paper business cards:
- Durability: Plastic business cards are more durable; able to withstand wear and tear and water damage. This means that your plastic business cards are likely to last longer and look better over time.
- Design options: Plastic business cards offer unique design options that may not be possible with paper, such as transparent plastic, frosted finishes and unique embellishments.
- Environmentally friendly: While plastic business cards are not usually considered eco-friendly, there are recycling options available for all of our plastic cards – from PVC to PET recyclable plastic.
The benefits of paper business cards
- Environmentally friendly: A wide variety of recycled or recyclable paper materials can be used to print your business cards, giving you the ability to choose what environmental footprint you’ll leave.
- Affordability: Printing paper business cards can be much cheaper than printing plastic business cards.
- Fast turnaround time: Printed on-shore in Australia, paper business cards are a great option if you need your business cards urgently.
Contact us today to discuss your next project. We’ll answer any of your questions with zero obligation to proceed with a purchase.